Thursday, January 6, 2011

The bread has a will to live on.

I was experimenting this week trying to make the bread Nightshade allergy friendly. To my surprise, The Everything bread has become even more adaptable. By adding some corn products, yes another allergen, instead of potato starch and brown rice flour we get a much lighter and flexible pizza dough or hamburger bun.
While trying to do this experiment however (while the bread was in the oven) I was informed that I was ridiculous. Our friends with the Nightshade allergy have no Gluten intolerance, and could just go out and buy regular old bread. On the plus side, I did find a new way to make the flavor slightly different on the bread even if I did exclude more of our friends who have an allergy to Corn. This makes me remember a very important lesson. The old "you can't please all the people..." quote comes to mind and I am reminded how I always insist that others not try to cater to my allergies as they are hard enough for me to fully understand. Do I appreciate when others make me foods I can eat? YES I DO! But I always hope they have not had a hard time in doing so.

These are the adjustments I have made to the bread recipe.
5 tsp baking powder instead of 6 tsp
3/4 cup corn starch instead of Potato Starch
3/4 cup corn flour instead of Brown rice flour

It is not a huge change in the flavor, although I think it is an improvement, but it does reduce the Nightshade allergen. If you need to make the bread Egg free, use powdered egg replacer. Remember that the egg replacers will make it more MOIST and should be accounted for in the cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment